Friday, January 1, 2016

Patiently Questioning all the Way

An artist has to make decisions through out the whole process of creating a piece of artwork. If you ask yourself the right questions along the way, it could help with making better decisions. I am always asking myself, "Is it cooler, warmer, darker or lighter"? From the moment I put a mark on the canvas it has got to be right. Then from there it is always comparing to previous strokes. So, I've found out from experience, you better be right from the start. I remember the carpenter building our new home as he was doing the molding saying, "measure twice, cut once". Well, you can apply that to painting. It will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

When I get in a pickle, I have to stop myself, back off and analyze. I step back from my easel, and see if I can get a different perspective. Another way of doing that is to take a picture and download it to the computer. It gives a whole new, fresh perspective. I can pick up on things I did not see before. Also, I find a must is go back to the source and study it. I find a lot of my problems stems from not observing or as some say "seeing". In the drawing phase, I hope to gain intimacy, if you will, from my set ups. I try to gain as much knowledge as I can about each object and how they work together as a whole. From there, if you've done that part well, it makes life a whole lot easier later on.

So, in a nutshell, there are no easy shortcuts. Like Aesop's fables, The Tortoise and the Hare, be the tortoise and take it easy step by step. Don't try to hurry, it always bites you in the you know where. I am still learning to be patient. It hasn't come easy. I still find myself at times jumping the gun, trying to get to the next step when I have no business being there. Remind yourselves, the tortoise wins in the end. Be a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment