Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Posting too Soon

I just finished a painting that I am excited about.  I hesitate to post too soon only to have to re-post with updates. I have learned and am trying to refrain from my excitement and hold off some.

Waiting a few days is good. I put a newly "finished" painting on my fireplace mantle. Then stand way back to get a different perspective. The lighting is very good there and I can study it. I go down a mental check list. If I question something, back it goes on my studio easel so I check it against the set-up. It is always best to go back to the source. That is where you can "catch" some thing overlooked. As I've said before, in my opinion, careful observation is key. I'm not saying to copy, per say, but as a realistic artist it is important to get basic elements right. If something looks wrong on the mantle, chances are it is wrong.

All I am saying is, stop for a while and analyze, critique. Take a few breathing sessions so-to-speak.
I get so close to my work, I can not "see" it anymore, if that makes any sense. It is a good thing in a lot of ways because if it is an apple I am trying to represent, I don't "see" it as an apple. I see it more in terms of shape, mass, values, etc. Then when it is on the mantle, I want to see how it holds together in terms of things relating to one another and other things that I may look for.

Only after you've gone through every square inch of the painting and every thing stands corrected should one post. I know it is hard because you want to see how the world perceives your masterpiece. But, if you get it out there too fast, viewers may have already come to a conclusion and you don't want to give the wrong interpretation of your piece. Some viewers may never come back to view the newer version of your painting. So, stop, view and think!

No comments:

Post a Comment