Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Subject Matter

Lately, I have been painting exclusively from model set ups in my studio. I find it very rewarding and enjoyable to have it all laid out in front of me instead of relying on photos. In photos, you have to try make out the colors, subjects, perspective, etc., which becomes frustrating to have to make it up. That is where I usually resort to the rule book on techniques. I'd rather paint what I see and I feel you can not paint what you don't see.

That is not to say I would never  paint from pictures. Sometimes, certain subjects do not lend themselves to painting from life such as children and animals. I do some times like to paint those and other venues such as landscapes, figures, portraits, etc. Some times a lot relies on memory and remembering the feeling at the time if not painting plein air. Some artist do both, paint from photos and live sketches. Then go back to the studio and work from them.

I use to think before I started painting still lifes that they were boring. I no longer think of stills that way at all. It is just the opposite, they can be interesting, humorous (Brian Burt) , serious(Scott Royston), etc. Also, all styles can be used in their reproduction. I particularly like stills that are realistic with abstract incorporated in to them, such as the artworks from David Cheifetz. Also, the ones that tell a story are very intriguing as with the works of Rob Rey.

An artist has so much control over their set up with stills from the composition to the lighting. Wonderful things can happen. I imagine how the results will be and hopefully I can fulfill this or even surpass it. Subject matters can be simple or complex. "Seeing" early on what will work and what will not is based on experience. Some times, I can tell right off, it won't/will work and some times it is while doing the drawing that can determine that. Hopefully, it is not later than that because a painting can not survive a bad composition.

So, if you haven't yet tried to paint a still life, try and see how you like it. You may find your niche like I have.
Happy painting!
Grace



No comments:

Post a Comment