Friday, December 25, 2015

Supports and Materials

Get the best. Period.

It truly makes a difference from start to finish. I would say at any level this applies. I use to think, is the extra cost really worth it. Well, yes it is and once you use the good stuff, you'll never go back. It makes the task at hand that much more enjoyable and doable.Now my thinking is; I spend so much time doing this, I'm going to use the best tools I can get my hands on.

I've been slowly moving my way up as far as canvas is concerned. Back in the day, I use to use cotton canvas. I've been using linen now for quite some time. I use to hear, "Oh, cotton is just fine, linen is the snobbish canvas". Well, I can attest, that is certainly false. As far as being snobbish or not, who really cares as long as it suites you. Yes, you pay a higher price, but it is far easier on brush wear and tear. I also like to work on the smooth surface of linen.

Lots of manufacturers have different degrees of weave depending on subject matter and taste.
I just started painting on boards. I have become a fan. No sagging or shims required. If I have to scrape paint off, to me it is much easier. Also, I like that it is thicker, so I can get my hands around it to move without getting paint on my hands or marring the surface when moving it around. With thin panels that is a little bit of a task.

Choosing the support that is right for you  has to to with experience. You try this and that to see what works and what doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment